Foreign clouds in the UK sky: How it affects your business
Hybrid Cloud is here to stay. The rapid adoption of cloud introduces a number of fundamental challenges that most organisations fail to recognize early in the technology selection process.
Mainstream cloud computing services often refers to software and data stored and run on shared hardware resources. They can deliver various “as services” (XaaS) to you at a lower cost due to economies of scale.
To migrate to and from different types of clouds can be expensive, time consuming and cause interference to mission critical business operations. Following is a brief summary of some of the high level concerns.
- The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will apply in the UK from 25 May 2018. For a long time companies like Amazon Web Services, Gmail, Drive, Facebook, Office 365 etc have only been subject to US law.
- Many low cost public clouds are rigid and lack flexibility for customisation. Often these solutions have been standardised and simplified for mainstream low cost use. They require your business to work around the technology rather than the other way around. Private and hybrid systems on the other hand can empower you to build processes that work for your business
- In the “cloud” there is no boarder control. Your data is held wherever the service providers datacentres are or will be in the future. When you rely on a global company to provide the service your data may be in the UK, EU or any other part of the world with or without your knowledge.
- There are laws such as FISA (The US Foreign Intelligence and Surveillance) and the USA patriot Act that is applicable for the majority of US based cloud providers
- Mergers, acquisitions, shareholder changes, unexpected disasters, commercial and political interests etc. are all very common among the big players in the IT industry. When not thought through these natural changes will directly impact your routine and mission critical business processes. There are many types of cloud. And there are many ways to make it work (or not!).
We understand the value in your existing business processes. We value the time and effort you have put in to build reliable work flows across your business. We are at the forefront of new technologies and we know the ongoing need to fine tune your systems to keep you ahead of your competition. That’s why we take the time to carefully evaluate how fundamental systems changes can impact your mission critical processes – across all levels. We work with you every step of the way until together, we get it right for your business. Because we know our success follows yours.