Did you know there are different types of cloud solutions ? You don’t need to waste all you have invested just to have “cloud”. And you don’t have to make your business work around a standardised cloud either. The technology you adopt must work around your business needs rather than the cloud vendors.
The term “cloud computing” we hear everywhere really means two things. 1. The software your business relies on is owned, hosted and run by the software vendor (or a partner of their choice) 2. Your data is securely stored on their shared IT infrastructure. Vendors can deliver these services to you at a low cost due to economies of scale. It is very important to understand the total cost of ownership, beyond the numbers compared on marketing material and assess the practical impact to your business and its operations. Certain cloud services are also touted as more secure than others and this is very much subject to what you would accept as suitable for your business.
Any change to mission critical business processes can be expensive, time consuming, can cause damage or downtime without proper planning. Yet many decision makers take the easy route without evaluating or understanding the pros and cons often following biased technical advice.
1. The first and foremost thing to understand is that no service is “free” on the internet . Every business including your favorite search engine or social media network exist to make money. More often than not free internet services are in fact more expensive than those you pay for.
2. Cloud has no borders and it is not (yet!) properly regulated. Many mainstream cloud service providers take your data outside UK borders. Due to the flexibility in technology vendors can move cloud systems you rely on between countries at will without you even noticing. Naturally any company has the right to put their own business interests first- they can buy or sell, merge or acquire any part of the business and it happens everyday, exposing your very business infrastructure to almost any unforeseen change. More recently Google, Facebook, Microsoft and other companies have been allowed to disclose the number of times they release data to US security agencies under the FISA (U.S. Foreign Intelligence and Surveillance) and USA PATRIOT Act.
3. Every public cloud sits inside data centers, Like a real cloud however it is difficult to predict where it will be tomorrow ! Access to your own data is usually provided through a single method allowing very little flexibility when you want to do root level changes.
4. Every cloud goes down ! No one can guarantee or offer 100% reliability. Every one of the top mainstream cloud internet service providers have suffered failures due to very many parameters that the world of IT relies on. We are no different and like many we offer 99.9% service level guarantee.
5. You’re buying into a lot more than software. And you are going to build your business on a framework that you have very little control over.
IT IN BUSINESS private cloud offering on the other hand is a dedicated state of the art environment based in the UK that not only you can have access to but is tailor-made for you and is protected by multiple layers of security that is unique to your business. Our solutions are tailor-made to work for your business so that your business does not have to work around the technology.
We understand the value in your existing business processes, the time and effort you have put in to build and perfect them and we work with you flexibly across all levels. We work hard and go the extra mile to keep your business and do not employ strategies to tie you down.
And yes, you still have the following “cloud” benefits: